For the Bread:
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
4 large eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup water
3 cups granulated sugar
3 1/2 cups Cup4Cup flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
For the Topping:
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
2 teaspoons light corn syrup
2-4 teaspoons milk
2/3 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
½ cup granulated sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cardamom (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 2 loaf pans with non-stick spray.
2. In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, water and sugar until well incorporated.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, cardamom and nutmeg. Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended.
4. Pour batter into the prepared loaf pans.
5. Bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let loaves cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove and cool on wire racks.
6. For the topping, combine the confectioners’ sugar with the corn syrup and whisk together until smooth. Thin the mixture to a pourable consistency with the milk; set aside.
7. In a non-stick sauté pan over medium-high heat, add the granulated sugar and cook until it becomes liquid and starts to caramelize. Once, caramelized, remove from the heat and stir in chopped pecans. Add spices and mix together. Pour mixture onto a tray lined with a silpat or parchment. Carefully separate the hot pieces so that no large clumps are formed. Let cool fully.
8. To top the fully cooled pumpkin bread loaves, pour the icing evenly over the top of each loaf. Then, sprinkle the candied pecans over the top. Slice the pumpkin bread and enjoy!