Yield: One 10”x 5” loaf pan
Degree of difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Bake Time: 60 minutes
Total Time: 90 minutes
For Carrot Cake Loaf:
3 cups (300g) carrots, shredded on a medium-sized grate
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 ¾ cups (350g) granulated sugar
1 cup (215g) vegetable oil
2 cups (280g) Cup4Cup Ancient Grains Flour
1 teaspoon (4g) baking powder
1 teaspoon (5g) baking soda
1 ½ teaspoons (3g) ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon (1g) ground ginger
1 teaspoon (5g) kosher salt
1 ½ teaspoons (6g) vanilla extract
¼ cup ground (25g) flaxseed, golden (whole or ground)
For Fluffy Cream Cheese Frosting:
2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter, softened
16 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups powdered sugar
½ cup walnuts, toasted and chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Oil a loaf pan liberally.
- In large bowl whisk together eggs and sugar until well blended and pale yellow in color.
- Slowly whisk in the oil and then stir in the shredded carrots and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl mix together all dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, ground cinnamon, salt and flaxseed.
- Fold the dry mixture into the wet mixture and gently stir until fully incorporated. Spread batter evenly into the loaf pan.
- Bake for approximately one hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. The loaf should also spring back when pressed with a finger. Cool to room temperature.
- For the frosting, beat butter and cream cheese together on medium-high speed for 3-5 minutes. On low speed, beat in vanilla extract and powdered sugar until well combined. Beat mixture on high for another 3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- To assemble, cut the carrot cake loaf in half along its equator.
- Separate the top from the bottom and spread half of the frosting onto the bottom half.
- Place the top half of the cake on top and then spread the remaining frosting on the top half. Sprinkle the chopped walnuts on top, if desired.