1 1/2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup water, warm
1 package active dry yeast
1 1/3 cup Cup4Cup flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1. Place the milk and butter in a small pot. Place over medium heat and warm through to melt the butter. Do not scorch. Then, remove from the heat and cool slightly.
2. Place the warm water and yeast in a small bowl. Stir and let sit for about 10 minutes. Then stir again to fully dissolve.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt and sugar. Stir in the dissolved yeast, milk and butter. Cover the bowl tightly with a piece of plastic wrap. Let batter proof at room temperature for 1 ½ hours. The mixture will bubble.
4. After proofing the batter, stir in the eggs and baking soda. The batter will be thick and stringy.
5. Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions. If there is a heat setting, set it to medium-high. Spray the waffle iron with non-stick pan spray.
6. Scoop about 1/3 cup batter into each well of the waffle iron, spreading slightly into each corner of each well. Close the lid, cook for 5-6 minutes and golden brown and crisp. Be sure to spray the waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray before cooking each batch of waffles.
7. Serve hot waffles with your choice of toppings. These waffles pair well with sweet or savory items.
Try Making Pizza Waffles!
1. After stirring in the eggs and baking soda, fold in 1 ½ cups minced pepperoni + ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese + 2/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese.
2. Cook as directed above.
3. Grate parmesan cheese over the warn waffles. Serve with tomato sauce and basil pesto for dipping.