For the Scones:
1/2 cup (121g) sour cream, crème fraiche or plain yogurt
1/2 teaspoon (2.5g) baking soda
2 cups (280g) Cup4Cup flour or Wholesome flour
1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
1 teaspoon (5g) baking powder
1/8 teaspoon (0.6g) cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon (2.5g) kosher salt
1/2 cup (110g) unsalted butter, cold, cut into small cubes
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon (5g) vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
1 teaspoon orange or lemon zest, finely grated (optional)
For the Glaze:
3/4 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk
Fresh herbs or edible flowers for garnish (optional)/
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Mix the dry ingredients together: Flour, sugar, salt, cream of tartar, baking soda, and baking powder.
3. Cut cold butter into the flour mix until the mix resembles coarse cornmeal.
4. Add in sour cream, vanilla, zest and egg and whisk lightly until a dough is formed.
5. Chill the dough for 20-30 minutes in the refrigerator.
6. Lightly flour a work surface using Cup4Cup, roll out the dough to roughly 1 ½ inch.
7. Cut the dough into 12 even pieces. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 20-30 min or until scones are golden brown.
8. While baking make the sugar glaze by combining the sugar and the milk together After the scones have cooled. Pour the glaze over the tops of the scones and allow it to set before serving.