Yield: 10 Pieces / 1 whole fryer chicken (2 ½-3 ½ # by weight)
Degree of difficulty: Medium
Prep Time: 20 minutes + overnight brining
Bake Time: 60 minutes + resting time
1 pouch Cup4Cup Seasoned Fried Chicken Mix (with included spice and salt packets)
1 whole fryer chicken (2 1/2 – 3 1/2 lbs by weight)
½ cup buttermilk
2 quarts ice cold water
3 quarts frying oil (canola or peanut)
- Place water and salt into 4 quart container and whisk to dissolve.
- Place chicken with breasts cut in half along with all remaining chicken pieces into brine.
- Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 12 hours.
- Remove chicken from brine and drain on rack, blotting dry with paper towels.
- Place chicken in a bowl and add buttermilk. Toss to coat and leave at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Re-toss to distribute buttermilk evenly.
- Combine spice packet and breading mix in bowl and mix to combine.
- Place chicken pieces individually in breading and coat each evenly. Transfer breaded pieces to a clean tray. Allow breaded chicken to remain at room temperature for 30 more minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat frying oil to 350°F in 8 quart pot.
- To start frying add both thighs and legs to oil. Fry for 8-12 minutes then remove.
- Oil temperature may drop to 315°F-320°F. Leave heat on high, but do not allow oil to exceed 350°F.
- Once oil comes back up to 350°F, add breast pieces and wings and fry 10-14 minutes.