For the Crepe Cake:
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
6 large eggs
3 cups whole milk
1 1/2 cups Cup4Cup flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
For Salted Caramel Filling:
1 large egg
2 large egg yolks
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 cups whole milk, divided
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla paste
1 teaspoon kosher salt
For Chocolate Glaze:
1/2 cup half and half
2 tablespoons Dutch-processed cocoa powder
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 tablespoon butter, at room temperature
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, cut into chunks
Chef’s Note: Make the Crepe batter and Salted Caramel Filling a day ahead.
1. In a blender, mix together the melted butter and eggs until emulsified. Add the flour, milk, sugar and salt, blending until smooth. Refrigerate mixture overnight.
2. Heat a 8” to 9” non-stick pan over medium low-heat until hot. Butter the pan and add about ¼ cup crepe batter, swirling the pan to evenly coat the surface. Cook until the bottom just begins to brown, about 1 minute. Then flip and cook on the other side approximately 15 seconds. Remove crepe and place onto a baking sheet. Repeat cooking (adding more butter to the pan each time) until there are approximately 20-30 crepes.
For Salted Caramel Filling:
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together egg, egg yolks, cornstarch and ½ cup milk until smooth. Heat remaining 1 ½ cups milk in a small pot over low heat; keep warm.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar with ¼ cup of water. Cook over medium heat, swirling the pan until the sugar dissolves. Continue to cook until it turns caramel in color, about 5-8 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter carefully.
3. Slowly drizzle in the warm milk while whisking, mix until blended. Slowly whisk in the egg mixture and bring to a boil and cooking over medium heat, stirring often, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the vanilla and sea salt. Strain the filling through a fine-mesh sieve. Refrigerate mixture overnight.
For Chocolate Glaze & Assembly:
1. In a medium saucepan, combine the half and half, cocoa powder, corn syrup and sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and add in the butter and chocolate, whisking until melted and the sauce is smooth; set aside.
2. To assemble, place a crepe on a serving plate or cake stand. Using an offset spatula, evenly spread a thin layer of the filling over the crepe. Alternate layers of filling and crepes until all of the crepes have been used, ending with a crepe on top. Cover the cake and chill for approximately 4 hours, but not overnight.
3. When ready to serve, pour or drizzle the chocolate glaze over the top of the crepe cake, letting it trickle down the sides of the cake. Slice and enjoy.