1 ½ cup whole milk
½ cup unsalted butter, melted
¼ cup water, warm
1 package active dry yeast
1 1/3 cup Cup4Cup flour
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 TB granulated sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
¼ tsp baking soda
1 bunch scallions or green garlic chives, chopped into 1 inch pieces
¾ cup gruyere cheese, grated
½ cup pancetta, diced and cooked until crispy
- Combine the yeast with warm water and sugar. Set aside in warm area.
- Using a small pot over medium low heat. Add in milk and butter and melt together, but do not boil. Once melted remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the Cup4Cup flour and salt.
- Place the yeast mixture in with the cooled milk and butter.
- Stir the dry mixture in with the wet mixture until well combined. Cover the bowl and set aside in a warm area for 1 ½ hours for batter to proof. The mixture should double in size and be bubbly.
- After its done proofing, stir in the eggs and baking soda. Add in the chopped scallions, cheese and pancetta.
- Preheat the waffle iron to medium high.
- Scoop the batter into the waffle iron. Make sure to stir the mixture after every scoop to ensure that the pancetta, scallions and cheese are not all sitting on the bottom of the batter. Cook the waffles until they are golden brown.
- Serve with eggs for a completed breakfast dish and enjoy!