1 3/4 cups (245 g) Cup4Cup Flour
1 tablespoon (8 g) yellow curry powder
½ teaspoon (1 g) crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon (3.5 g) kosher salt
¼ teaspoon (0.5 g) black pepper
½ teaspoon (2 g) baking powder
2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated (optional)
1 jalapeno pepper, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
½ cup cilantro, chopped
1 medium yellow onion, sliced into 1/8-inch julienne
1 cup – 1 1/4 cups water, at room-temperature
½ cup green onions, thinly sliced for garnish
Canola oil (or any neutral oil that is good for deep frying)
Yogurt Dipping Sauce
1 cup Greek-style yogurt
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
Salt, to taste
1. Fill a Dutch oven or heavy bottomed pot with about 2.5 inches of oil. Heat the oil to 360-375°F.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the Cup4Cup Flour, curry powder, red pepper flakes, salt, black pepper, baking powder, fresh ginger, sliced jalapeno pepper, cilantro, and sliced onion.
3. Slowly add in the water and mix with a wooden spoon. Be sure to reserve about ¼ cup of the water. Vigorously mix for a couple of seconds. The batter should be thick, like thick yogurt and there should be air bubbles throughout. If too thick, add a little more water to achieve the desired consistency. You may not need to use all of the water.
4. Once the oil is hot, carefully scoop batter by heaping tablespoonful into the hot oil. When scooping, be sure to get equal portions of batter, onion and jalapeno in each scoop. Carefully lower the scooped batter into the oil to avoid splattering. Do not overcrowd the oil as it will result in greasy fritters. Fry until the fritters are a deep golden-brown in color, flipping them as necessary. Drain on a wire rack or a paper towel lined baking sheet. Season with kosher salt. Repeat with the remaining batter.
5. Garnish with sliced green onion and serve immediately with the yogurt dipping sauce below.
6. To hold the pakoras hot, place them onto a parchment lined baking tray place in a 200°F oven until needed. To reheat the pakoras, place them onto a parchment lined baking tray and bake in a 400°F oven until they are heated through and sizzling, about 4-5 minutes.
7. For the yogurt dipping sauce: In a small bowl, stir together yogurt, lemon juice, cilantro, mint and garlic Season with salt to taste. Refrigerate until needed.