3 cups Cup4Cup flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup unsalted butter, cubed and cold
1 large egg
1/2 cup cold buttermilk
2 14-ounce packages of gluten-free, cocktail-sized sausages or hot dogs
1 large egg mixed with 1 teaspoon water (egg wash)
1. Place all dry ingredients into a food processor and pulse to evenly distribute. (Or if you do not have a food processor, place dry ingredients into a large bowl.)
2. Add the cold, cubed butter to the flour mixture, pulsing. (Or use a pastry cutter or fork to cut butter into the dry ingredients.)
3. Pulse (or hand mix) until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
4. Place mixture into a large bowl and set aside.
5. Combine the egg and the buttermilk together in a small bowl.
6. Create a well in the flour mixture, gradually whisk in the egg mixture with a fork.
7. Mix the dough until it forms a ball. Wrap dough tightly in plastic wrap. Allow dough to rest in a refrigerator for 30 minutes.
8. Remove dough from the refrigerator and cut the dough in half. Re-wrap one half and place back into the refrigerator until ready to use. Place the other half onto a flat working surface. Using extra Cup4Cup flour for dusting, roll out the dough into a square about 1/8 inch width and approximately 11 inches long by 11 inches wide.
9. Using a knife, trim the edges so that all edges are smooth and measure approximately 10 inches long by 10 inches wide. Then, cut the square in half so that it creates 2 rectangles both 5 inches long by 10 inches wide.
10. Place one rectangle oriented with the longest side facing you. Using a knife, make diagonal cuts lengthwise, to make 10 triangles that are 1 inch wide and 5 inches long. Repeat with the other rectangle of dough.
11. Repeat steps 8-10 with the other half of the pie dough. You should end up with a total of 40 1 inch x 5 inch triangles. If you need more triangles, re-roll the trimmed dough from step 9 and cut into additional triangles.
12. To assemble, place one triangle on your work surface with the tip facing away from you. Place one mini cocktail sausage on the widest part of the triangle. Roll the sausage tightly in the dough. Place the pigs in a blanket onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, spaced about 1 inch apart. Repeat until all sausages have been wrapped.
13. Brush the tops of all the pigs in a blanket with egg wash.
14. Bake in a preheated 375°F oven for approximately 10-15 minutes, until they are golden brown. Serve warm.
-The dough can be made ahead of time and stored in the freezer.
-Be sure to keep the dough as cold as possible. When working with the dough, if it becomes too warm, place in the refrigerator/freezer for 5-10 minutes until it firms back up.