Yield: One 10” x 5” loaf
For the Cake:
1 cup (225 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
Zest of 2 large lemons
5 large eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoons (10 g) vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon (1 g) lemon extract
2 cups (280 g) Cup4Cup Multipurpose Flour
2 ½ tablespoons (20 g) poppy seeds
2 teaspoons (7 g) baking powder
1/4 teaspoon (1 g) kosher salt
3/4 cup (180 g) buttermilk or milk
For the Lemon Glaze:
1 cup (115 g) powdered sugar
1 -2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
¼ teaspoon lemon extract (optional)
Fresh lemon zest, grated
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9”x5” loaf pan.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment beat the butter until soft, about 1 minute.
- In a small bowl mix together the sugar and lemon zest. Add the sugar to the butter and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl occasionally. Beat in the vanilla extract. The batter may look curdled.
- Add the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, and salt. Beat on low speed until almost incorporated. Add the buttermilk and beat on low until everything is combined.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, remove and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the lemon glaze, mix together the powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon lemon juice in a small bowl. Add more lemon juice to thin the consistency, if desired.
- Pour the glaze over the cooled loaf. Top with grated lemon zest and poppy seeds. Let the glaze set up before slicing.