Yield: One 9” x 9” pan
For the Crust:
1 1/4 cups (170 g) Cup4Cup Multipurpose Flour
1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon (80 g) granulated sugar
1 cup (220 g) unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons (24 g) water
1 ½ teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
1 teaspoon (1 g) fresh lemon zest
For the Filling:
¾ cup (150 g) granulated sugar
3 large eggs
Zest of 3 lemons
½ cup (115 g) fresh lemon juice
1 cup (225 g) butter, at room temperature
1 teaspoon (2.7 g) powdered gelatine
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9” x 9” pan with cooking spray. Line the pan with parchment paper.
- In large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, fresh thyme and lemon zest. Cut in the butter using a pastry cutter until the butter is in pea-sized pieces. Mix in the water using a fork. The dough will be crumbly.
- Press the dough in an even layer into the prepared pan. Bake until golden brown, about 35-45 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Cool to room temperature.
- For the filling, bloom the gelatin in a small bowl with about 1/3 of the juice for 10 minutes.
- Combine the eggs, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest and salt in a bowl. Place the bowl over a pot of simmering water. Whisk constantly until thickened.
- Transfer the thickened egg mixture to a blender along with the bloomed gelatin. Blend on medium speed to combine. Next, with the blender on low add in the butter one piece a time to emulsify it in.
- Pour the lemon filling onto the cooled crust and smooth into an even layer. Refrigerate until the filling has firmly set, about 4 -8 hours.
- Cut into bars of desired size and serve. Store in the refrigerator.