Yield: One 9” x 9” pan
For the Crust:
1 ½ cups (210 g) Cup4Cup Multipurpose Flour
½ cup (100 g) granulated sugar
½ cup (110 g) unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
2 tablespoons (30 g) water
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
For the Filling:
¾ cup (150 g) granulated sugar
3 large eggs
Zest of 3 lemons
½ cup (115 g) fresh lemon juice
1 cup (225 g) butter, at room temperature
2 sheets bronze gelatin
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9” x 9” pan with cooking spray. Line the pan with parchment paper.
- In large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, fresh thyme and lemon zest. Cut in the butter using a pastry cutter until the butter is in pea-sized pieces. Mix in the water using a fork. The dough will be crumbly.
- Press the dough in an even layer into the prepared pan. Bake until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- For the filling, bloom the gelatin sheets in cold water for 10 minutes.
- Combine the eggs, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest and salt in a bowl. Place the bowl over a pot of simmering water. Whisk constantly until thickened.
- Transfer the thickened egg mixture to a blender. Wring out excess water from bloomed gelatin sheets and add the sheets to the blender. Blend on medium speed to combine. Next, with the blender on low add in the butter one piece a time to emulsify it in.
- Pour the lemon filling onto the cooled crust and smooth into an even layer. Refrigerate until the filling has firmly set, about 4 -8 hours.
- Cut into bars of desired size and serve. Store in the refrigerator.