These cookies start with a delicate buttery base and are filled with our favorite jam. The jam is really the star here so be sure to choose one of good quality. We chose Pluot & Lavender Jam and Apricot & Ginger Jam from The Jam Lab. These unique jam flavors elevate these classic cookies to a new level.
Yield: About 2 dozen cookies
1 ¾ cups (245 g) Cup4Cup Multipurpose Flour
½ teaspoon (1.5 g) baking powder
½ teaspoon (2.5 g) kosher salt
¾ cup (168 g) unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup (133 g) granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon (5 g) vanilla extract
½ cup jam of your choice
Extra granulated sugar, for rolling cookies
Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk together the Cup4Cup flour, baking powder and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together the butter and the sugar until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in the egg and vanilla extract until combined. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture in two additions. Mixing until just incorporated.
- Scoop the dough into 1 ½-inch balls using a cookie scoop or a rounded tablespoon. Pour about ½ cup granulated sugar in a bowl and roll each ball of dough in the sugar. Place cookies about 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheets. Press a thumbprint into the center of each cookie about 1/2-inch deep. Fill each indentation with 3/4 teaspoon jam. The jam should not be overflowing.
- Bake the cookies for about 10 – 12 minutes and until the edges are light golden brown. Rotate the pans halfway through baking for even color.
- Cool cookies to room temperature on the cookie sheets. If some of the cookies have jam that has leaked out of the indentations, you can add more jam onto the cookies while they are cooling.
- To serve, dust with powdered sugar. To get the cleanest powdered sugar appearance, cut a piece of parchment paper in a circle that is the same size as the jam center. Place this parchment circle over the jam and then sprinkle powdered sugar over the cookie. Carefully remove the parchment circle and repeat.