For the Cupcakes:
1 3/4 cup Cup4Cup flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
For Whipped Mascarpone Filling:
1 cup mascarpone cheese
3 to 4 tablespoons whole milk
1/4 c granulated sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
A pinch of kosher salt
For Dark Chocolate Glaze:
2/3 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons corn syrup
4.5 ounces 70% dark chocolate
For the Cupcakes:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
3. Whisk together eggs, milk, vegetable oil and vanilla extract. Add to this mixture to the dry ingredients, mixing until fully incorporated.
4. Whisk boiling water into the batter.
5. Line two cupcake tins with cupcake liners and fill cups with the batter.
6. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until cupcakes are done and they spring back when pressed lightly. Cool baked cupcakes to room temperature.
For the Whipped Mascarpone Filling:
1. Mix together mascarpone and milk.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and whip together until smooth.
3. Fill a pastry bag with the mascarpone mixture.
For the Dark Chocolate Glaze:
1. Place the heavy cream and corn syrup in a pot and bring to a boil.
2. Pour the hot cream mixture over the chocolate and mix until all of the chocolate is melted.
3. Be sure to use the glaze immediately.
For the Assembly:
1. Fill the cooled cupcakes with the whipped mascarpone filling in a pastry bag.
2. Take the filled cupcakes and invert into the chocolate glaze to “frost” each of the cupcakes.
3. Repeat the dipping process once more to attain a thicker glaze.
4. Set the cupcakes aside in a cool area or refrigerator to set the glaze.
5. For the design on top, melt a small amount of white chocolate and decorate as desired!