For these pop tarts, we start with our Grandma’s Pie Crust recipe for the dough, fill with our favorite strawberry jam, bake and top with icing and sprinkles. Any filling can be used in this recipe. Try your favorite jam or try using the apple filling in our Apple Hand Pie Recipe. You may also use our Cup4Cup Pie Crust Mix in place of the pie dough here.
Yield: About 8 pop tarts
For the Dough:
3 cups (420 g) Cup4Cup Multipurpose Flour
2 tablespoons (25 g) granulated sugar
1 teaspoon (2.5 g) kosher salt
1 cup (225 g) butter, cubed and cold
1 large egg
½ cup (127 g) cold buttermilk
¾ cup strawberry jam
For the Icing:
1 cup powdered sugar
2-3 tablespoons milk
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the dough, place all dry ingredients into a food processor and pulse to evenly distribute. If you do not have a food processor, place dry ingredients into a large bowl. Add the cold, cubed butter to the flour mixture, pulsing. (Or use a pastry cutter or fork to cut butter into the dry ingredients.) Pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Place mixture into a large bowl and set aside.
- Combine the egg and the buttermilk together in a small bowl. Create a well in the flour mixture, gradually whisk in the egg mixture with a fork. Mix the dough until it forms a ball. Wrap and rest dough in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator and cut it in half. Re-wrap and return the other half to the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Using extra flour to prevent sticking, roll out one half of the dough to about 1/8th inch thick. Using a ruler and a knife cut rectangles that are 3” x 5”. Place these rectangles onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Repeat this step with the remaining dough. In total, the dough should yield 16 rectangles.
- Place about 1½ tablespoons of the strawberry jam in the center of 8 rectangles. Spread the jam out, leaving about ½ inch rim on all sides uncoated. Place the remaining rectangles on top of each filled rectangle to create 8 pop tarts. Carefully, press the top edge onto the bottom one, making sure to press the edges together. Then use a fork to tightly crimp the outer edges together. Place finished hand pies onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Bake pop tarts in a preheated 375°F oven for 18 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and baked through. Cool pop tarts on trays to room temperature.
- For the icing, combine the powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons of milk and vanilla extract in a bowl. Whisk until it comes together. The mixture should be easily spreadable. Use more milk to thin it, if necessary. Spread the icing onto the cooled pop tarts and top with sprinkles. Allow icing to set up at room temperature.