Yield: One double pie crust
Degree of difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: Refrigerate for 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
3 cups Cup4Cup Multipurpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup butter, cubed and cold
1 large egg
½ cup cold buttermilk
3 tablespoons cold water
- Place all dry ingredients into a food processor and pulse to evenly distribute. (Or if you do not have a food processor, place dry ingredients into a large bowl.)
- Add the cold, cubed butter to the flour mixture, pulsing. (Or use a pastry cutter or fork to cut butter into the dry ingredients.)
- Pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Place mixture into a large bowl and set aside.
- Combine the egg, water and buttermilk together in a small bowl.
- Create a well in the flour mixture, gradually whisk in the egg mixture with a fork.
- Mix the dough until it forms a ball.
- Wrap and rest dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Cut the dough in half. Using extra Cup4Cup flour for dusting a flat surface, roll out one portion and drape to fit the contours of a pie dish.
- Use remaining portion for an additional pie or drape over a filled pie plate and decorate. Fill with your favorite pie filling, sweet or savory.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350˚F.
- For blind-baking the crust: Pierce the bottom of the crust all over with a fork. Bake 10-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- For baking a pie with a filling: bake for about 45 min to 1 hour or until golden-brown depending upon your pie and the oven.
- Recipe can be made ahead of time and stored in the freezer.