For the Donuts:
2 cups (280 g) Cup4Cup flour
1 ½ teaspoons (5 g) baking powder
½ teaspoon (2 g) baking soda
1 teaspoon (5 g) kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon (0.5 g) grated nutmeg
1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
6 tablespoons (84 g) unsalted butter
2 large eggs
1 cup (240 g) buttermilk
2 teaspoons (10 g) pure vanilla extract
½ cup mini chocolate chips (optional)
For the Chocolate Glaze:
2/3 cup powdered sugar
4 tablespoons cocoa powder
4 tablespoons milk
4 tablespoons melted butter
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a donut pan and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and sugar. Set aside.
3. In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter and continue to heat to make brown butter. Keep an eye on it, as it browns quickly. Once brown, remove from heat and immediately transfer browned butter, with all browned bits, to a small bowl.
4. In a medium bowl whisk together the egg, buttermilk, and vanilla extract. Add the browned butter and whisk.
5. Add the wet ingredients all at once to the dry ingredients. Stir together until all of the ingredients are well combined. Do not over mix.
6. Transfer batter into a piping bag and pipe batter into each donut in the pan, three-quarters full with batter.
7. Bake for about 10-15 minutes until donuts spring back when pressed. Remove and then cool in the pan before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely.
8. To make the glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, cocoa powder, with the milk and melted butter. Whisk to combine. If the glazed becomes clumpy, microwave in 5 second increments until it is a pourable consistency.
9. When donuts are completely cool, dip top-side-down into the chocolate glaze. Return to the wire rack and sprinkle with rainbow sprinkles. Allow glaze to set for about 30 minutes before serving.
TIP: Instead of glazing the donuts, try coating them in powdered sugar. Place ½ cup powdered sugar in a resalable plastic bag. Add a donut and seal the bag. Shake the bag to coat the donut. Repeat with remaining donuts.