Yield: 6 – 8 large biscuits
2 cups Cup4Cup Multipurpose Flour
1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch cubes and chilled
3/4 cup buttermilk + 1 to 2 tablespoons for brushing
1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese (or other cheese of your choice)
1 large clove fresh garlic, minced very fine
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Using a whisk or food processor, combine all dry ingredients together and mix until well blended.
- Be sure butter is cold and cubed. Using a food processor, add in the cold butter and pulse until it is incorporated into the dough and it resembles pea-sized shapes. If you do not have a food processor, use a pastry cutter or a fork to cut in the butter.
- Place this mixture into a bowl. Add in cheese and garlic and mix to incorporate. Using a fork, slowly mix in the buttermilk until the dough forms into a lumpy ball. The dough will be loose. Do not over mix.
- Take the loose dough and wrap it in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Using additional flour as needed, roll out the dough to 1 inch thick.
- Take a round cutter and cut the dough, place cut out shapes onto a baking sheet. Brush buttermilk on top of each biscuit to ensure a golden brown top.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes minutes or until golden brown.