Yield: Six 4 1/2-inch tarts
For Tart Shell:
1 2/3 cups Cup4Cup Multipurpose Flour
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ cup + 3 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg white
For Pastry Cream:
1 ¼ cups whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla paste or vanilla extract
3 large egg yolks
¼ cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons Cup4Cup Multipurpose flour
½ cup heavy cream
2 pounds fresh fruit of your choice, sliced
(such as figs, cranberries and huckleberries)
- For the tart shells, place the flour and salt into a bowl and whisk to combine.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together room temperature butter and 1/3 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add in the egg and egg white, mixing on low to combine. Add in the flour mixture and mix on low until it just forms a ball.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and flatten the dough into a disk. Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray tart pans with pan spray.
- Cut the dough in half. Working with one half at a time, roll out the dough to about 1/8-inch. Press the dough into the sides of a tart pan and trip away any overhanging dough, repeat for remaining tart pans. You may re-roll the trimmed dough if necessary. Prick the bottoms of each tart all over with a fork.
- Bake tarts until light golden brown around the edges, about 10-15 minutes.
- Cool tarts on a wire rack to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, make the pastry cream. Combine the egg yolks and granulated sugar together in a heatproof bowl. Sift the flour over the top of the mixture and whisk together.
- Heat the milk and vanilla to boiling in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat and slowly stream the hot liquid into the egg mixture, whisking constantly to prevent curdling. Return this mixture to the saucepan and cook over medium heat until boiling, whisking constantly. Once boiling, cook for about 1 minute until thickened.
- Immediately, pour pastry cream into a bowl and cool over an ice bath, stirring often. You may store cooled pastry cream in the refrigerator.
- When ready to assemble the tarts, whip the heavy cream to soft peaks. Fold whipped cream into the cold pastry cream until well combined.
- Spread or pipe pastry cream into the tart shells. Top each tart with sliced fresh fruit. Serve at room temperature.