These muffins are a perfect treat for the holidays. They are moist and full of eggnog flavor with hints of cinnamon and nutmeg. This recipe is a great way to use up leftover eggnog too.
Yield: 12 muffins
2 cups (280 g) Cup4Cup Multipurpose Flour
½ cup (100 g) granulated sugar
2 teaspoons (6 g) baking powder
1 teaspoon (2 g) ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon (0.5 g) ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon (2 g) kosher salt
1 cup (240 g) eggnog
2 large eggs
6 tablespoons (84 g) unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon (5 g) vanilla extract
For Streusel Topping:
¼ cup (35 g) Cup4Cup Flour
¼ cup (55 g) brown sugar
¼ teaspoon (0.5 g) ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon (0.2 g) ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons (28 g) unsalted butter, cold
1 cup (115 g) powdered sugar
2-3 tablespoons eggnog
Pinch ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- Add all of the streusel topping ingredients into a small bowl. Use your fingertips to fully incorporate the butter into the dry ingredients. The mixture should look like wet sand. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients for the muffins: Cup4Cup flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- In a small bowl lightly beat the eggnog with the eggs and vanilla extract. Pour this mixture into the bowl of the dry ingredients. Next, add in the melted butter. Mix until all of the dry ingredients have been moistened. The batter will be thick.
- Scoop the muffin batter into the prepared pan, dividing the batter evenly amongst all 12 cups. Sprinkle the streusel topping on top of the batter, also dividing it evenly amongst all 12 cups.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes and until the muffins spring back when pressed in the center. Cool muffins to room temperature.
- For the glaze, mix together the powdered sugar and a pinch of nutmeg with 2 tablespoons of eggnog. The glaze should be thick but it should flow off of the back of a spoon easily. Add more eggnog if needed to thin it out. Drizzle the glaze over the muffins. Let the glaze set up for 20 minutes before serving.