2 cups Cup4Cup flour
2/3 cup dutch-processed cocoa powder
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup mayonnaise
1 1/3 cup water, at room temperature
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray two 9-inch cake pans or one 9” x 13” pan with non-stick pan spray.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla extract to full volume on medium-speed, about 3-5 minutes. The mixture should have doubled in volume and pale in color.
3. Add the mayonnaise and mix on low until just combined.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder.
5. Add the dry ingredients to the egg/mayonnaise mixture. Mix on low speed until combined.
6. With the mixer on low speed, drizzle in the water at a gradual pace until combined. Do not add the water too quickly or mix at a high speed.
7. Pour batter into prepared pans.
8. Bake for about 30 minutes and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
9. Cool cakes in their pans for 10 minutes and then remove from pan. Continue to cool on a wire rack.
10. Enjoy or frost as desired.