This hearty pizza is the perfect anytime meal. Feel free to personalize this recipe with your favorite toppings.
Yield: Two 8-inch pizzas (scale recipe in half to make one pie)
Degree of difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 30 Minutes prep, 1hour dough proofing time
Bake Time: 50 Minutes
Total Time: 2 ½ Hours
For the Crust:
1 pouch Cup4Cup Pizza Crust Mix
1 cup warm water
1 packet yeast (included in pizza crust mix)
4 tablespoons butter, softened
For the Pizza:
3 cups Cup4Cup Pizza Sauce
1-1/2 pounds grated low-moisture mozzarella cheese
2 ounces pepperoni, sliced (or substitute whichever toppings you prefer; cook high moisture toppings ahead of time to prevent the crust from becoming soggy)
Extra-virgin olive oil
Torn basil leaves
For the Pizza Crust:
- Combine the Cup4Cup Pizza Crust Mix with the yeast packet in a large bowl. Add the water and egg and mix together with a fork. The dough will be crumbly.
- Knead the dough into a smooth ball.
- Wrap the ball in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes
- While the dough is in the refrigerator, preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Generously butter two heavy, 8-inch round baking dishes (about 2 tablespoons of butter in each).
- Divide the dough in half then roll each half back into a ball and press down to flatten into a disk about an inch thick.
- Place each disk in the buttered pans and gently press working from the center out so that the crus is about 3/8-inch thick and comes up the sides by about 1-1/4 inch.
- Loosely cover the dough with plastic wrap and allow to rest in a warm area for about 30 minutes.
- Spread ½ cup of sauce on the bottom of the dough.
- Spread the pepperoni slices over the sauce.
- Top with 12 ounces of cheese per pizza.
- Bake the pizzas in the center of the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the pizza then spread ¾ cup of the sauce evenly over the top of the melted cheese.
- Return the pizza to the oven and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Allow the pizzas to rest 5-10 minutes before slicing.
- Finish the pizza with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, freshly grated parmesan cheese and torn basil leaves.