1 cup cornmeal
1 cup Cup4Cup flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
5-6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed, at room temperature
2 large stalks of celery, small dice
1 medium onion, small dice
2 sausages, uncooked
2 large carrots, small dice
1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped herbs, such as sage, chives, parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup chicken stock
1 large egg
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray an 8” x 8” pan with non-stick spray.
2. Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, and baking soda together in a bowl.
3. Add eggs, milk and melted butter to the bowl and whisk until well blended. Do not over mix.
4. Spread batter into prepared pan.
5. Bake for about 30 – 40 minutes and golden brown. Cool to room temperature.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Cut cooled cornbread into 1-2 inch cubes. Lay cubes out on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F until cubes dry out and toast.
3. Take sausage out of its casing and brown in a large skillet over high heat. Do not add any additional oil.
4. Lower heat to medium, add butter and melt. Add diced carrots, celery and onion to skillet until tender and cooked through.
5. Add the chicken stock and be sure to scrape all the browned bits off of the bottom of the skillet. Bring to a boil for 1-2 minutes.
6. In a large bowl, mix together the dried cornbread cubes with the sausage, the vegetable mixture and the egg. Sprinkle in the chopped herbs and season with salt and pepper.
7. Spoon mixture into a 13” by 9” baking pan, bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.