Yield: 12 portions
Degree of difficulty: Medium
Cup4Cup Gluten Free Cornbread:
1 pouch Cup4Cup Cornbread mix
1 ¼ cups buttermilk
2/3 cup brown sugar
½ cup butter (melted)
2 large eggs
1 cup yellow onion, medium diced
3 celery stalks, medium diced
1 leek, medium diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
8 ounces bacon, cut into strips
2 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
½ teaspoon thyme
1 tablespoon clarified butter (or canola oil)
4 teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon coarse cracked black peppercorn
2 cups turkey or chicken stock
2 cups heavy cream
3 each large eggs
- Follow instructions to make Cup4cup Cornbread. Cool and reserve.
- Cut cooled cornbread in to 1/2” pieces and reserve in large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place 12” cast iron pan or casserole dish on medium heat. Allow pan time to get hot, then add clarified butter.
- Add bacon and render, stirring every minute or so for approximately 10 minutes.
- Drain fat and reserve. Add 1 tablespoon bacon fat back into pan and add garlic with bacon renderings. Allow the aroma to develop.
- Add onion, leek, and celery along with 2 teaspoons of salt and black pepper. Cook on medium-low heat, stirring often, until vegetables become translucent and lightly caramelized.
- Add sage to vegetables and stir to incorporate. Using a spatula empty all contents onto diced cornbread and stir to evenly distribute.
- Place heavy cream, stock and remaining 2 teaspoons of salt on medium-low burner, and bring up to a boil.
- Place eggs in large bowl, and pour custard mixture over eggs while whisking. Pour custard base over corn bread.
- Add 2 tablespoons of bacon fat back into pan and allow time to get hot. Pour stuffing mix in, and transfer to oven.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until firm to the touch.