Yield: One 9" x 13" baking dish, or 14 servings
Degree of difficulty: Easy
2 lbs dark cherries (fresh or frozen)
1 lemon (juice and zest)
4 tablespoons butter
¼ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ tablespoon ground baking spices
½ cup oats
8 tablespoons butter (room temperature)
1 bag Cup4Cup Muffin Mix
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Pit cherries and place in a large bowl; add lemon juice and zest and toss to coat.
- Using a large sauce pan melt 4 tablespoons of butter on medium low heat, then add sugar, vanilla extract and baking spices. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Add cherries.
- Cook until soft and juices have reduced, approximately 15 minutes on medium low heat. Should resemble a pie filling.
- In a large bowl combine Cup4Cup muffin mix, oats, and room temperature butter; using hands mix until starts to resemble streusel.
- In a 9″ x 13″ baking dish, add ½ of streusel, form an even layer, do not pack down.
- Add cherry filling and spread evenly and top with remaining streusel.
- Transfer to oven and bake for 35-40 minutes.