1 cup water
1/2 cup dried polenta or grits
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into large cubes
1 cup whole milk
1 cup Cup4Cup flour
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Pinch cayenne pepper
1 large egg
3/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
3 tablespoons chopped parsley and/or chives
1. Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add polenta and cook over medium heat until soft.
2. Remove saucepan from heat and add butter cubes. Stir until the butter is melted. Add in cold milk and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, pepper, baking powder, garlic powder, and cayenne.
4. Pour the cooled polenta mixture over the dry ingredients. Add egg and whisk until the mixture is thoroughly incorporated.
5. Fold in the cheese and the herbs. Waffle batter should be thick.
6. Cook waffles according to waffle maker instructions. Be sure to spray waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray. We used about ¼ cup of batter for each section of our large waffle iron.