This rich, velvety soup comes together quickly but tastes like it was simmered all day. We top it off with crispy bacon, crunchy gluten free pretzels and chopped chives. This soup will be sure to satisfy your appetite on a cold winter’s day.
Yield: About 6 servings
4 tablespoons butter
2 carrots, small dice
2 stalks celery, small dice
1 large yellow onion, small dice
3 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup Cup4Cup Multipurpose Flour
2 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
1 cup milk
½ cup half-and-half or cream
12 ounces gluten free beer (preferably a lager)
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
Salt and black pepper, to taste
6 bacon strips, cooked and chopped
¼ cup chopped chives
2 cups gluten free pretzels
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the carrot, celery, onion and garlic. Sweat for 8 to 10 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Add the flour and stir until it has all been absorbed. Slowly whisk in the chicken stock, milk and half-and-half. Bring to a boil while whisking constantly. The soup should thicken.
- Reduce the heat and add the mustard. Add in the beer slowly, whisking constantly until the foam subsides. Bring to a gentle simmer while whisking frequently.
- Whisk in the shredded cheese one handful at a time. Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer. Do not bring to a boil or it will make the soup grainy.
- Serve the hot soup topped with chopped bacon, chives and pretzels.