Yield: 4 Servings
Degree of difficulty: Moderate
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Bake Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
For: Chicken tenders
2 pounds (900g) chicken tenders
2 cups (454g) buttermilk
Grapeseed oil or other neutral-flavored oil with a high smoke point
For: Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
½ cup (140g) honey
½ cup (120g) Dijon mustard
¼ cup (56g) mayonnaise
For: Chicken Tenders
- A day ahead, prepare the brine as directed. Brine the chicken tenders for 10 hours then drain well and refrigerate until needed.
- Fill a Dutch oven or other heavy pot suitable for frying about 3-inches deep with oil. Slowly heat the oil to 350°F.
- While the oil is heating, fill one mixing bowl with the fried chicken flour, and another with the buttermilk.
- One by one, lightly dredge the tenders in the flour then shake off the excess and place in the bowl of buttermilk.
- Coat all of the tenders in buttermilk. Remove a tender, shake off the excess buttermilk and toss in the flour again and transfer to a baking sheet. You may bread a few tenders at a time like this but don’t crowd them. Make sure the breaded tenders are kept in a single layer and not stacked on the sheet.
- Fry 4-6 tenders at a time to prevent the oil temperature from dropping too much. Fry until golden brown and crisp – about 7 minutes.
- Remove the tenders from the oil and drain on a rack. Keep hot in a low oven while you fry the remaining tenders.
For: Honey Mustard
- Whisk all the ingredients together in a small bowl and keep refrigerated until needed.
- Prepare the sauce before frying the chicken and keep chilled.
- Sprinkle the tenders lightly with salt and serve piping hot with the honey moustard sauce.