4 cups Cup4Cup Multipurpose flour
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 1/2 cups buttermilk + 1 to 2 tablespoons for brushing
2 to 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, for brushing
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Using a whisk or food processor, combine all dry ingredients together and mix until well blended.
- Be sure butter is very cold. Using a food processor, add in the cold butter and pulse until it is incorporated into the dough and it resembles pea-sized shapes. If you do not have a food processor, use a pastry cutter or a fork to cut in the butter.
- Place this mixture into a bowl. Using a fork slowly mix in the buttermilk until the dough is formed into a lumpy ball. The dough will be loose. Do not over mix.
- Take the loose dough and wrap it in clear plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Using additional flour as needed, roll out the dough to 1 inch thick.
- Take a round cutter and cut the dough, place cut out shapes onto parchment lined baking sheets. Brush on buttermilk to the tops of the biscuits to ensure a golden brown top.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Brush hot biscuits with melted butter and serve warm.