This pizza is perfect for a party or an easy dinner. The pizza dough will look more like cake batter but it bakes into a crust reminiscent of soft, spongy focaccia. A topping of barbecue sauce, gooey cheese, chicken, red onions, jalapenos and cilantro make for a bold, tangy treat.
Yield: One half-sized sheet pan (18” x 13” x 1”)
For the Pizza Dough:
3 cups (420g) Cup4Cup Multipurpose Flour
1/3 cup (30 g) non-fat dry milk powder
1 tablespoon (12 g) granulated sugar
2 teaspoons (7 g) kosher salt
2 teaspoons (7 g) active dry yeast
1 ½ teaspoons (5 g) baking powder
1 tablespoon (12 g) canola oil
1 ¾ cup + 2 tablespoons (440 g) warm water
For the Topping:
1 cup barbeque sauce, divided
2 cups chicken breast meat, cooked and chopped into bite-sized pieces
2 cups low moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese, grated
½ cup cheddar cheese, grated
½ cup red onion, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons jalapeno pepper, sliced thinly into rings (optional)
¼ cup cilantro, chopped
Salt, to taste
- Add dry ingredients to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on low to combine.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add water and oil to the bowl. Once incorporated mix on medium speed for 10 minutes. The dough will look like cake batter.
- Spray the half-sized sheet pan generously with cooking spray. Be sure that the pan you are using is at least 1 inch deep. Pour the dough onto the pan and use a rubber spatula to carefully spread it into a thin, even layer.
- Let the dough rest at room temperature uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Pre-bake the crust in a 450°F oven for 8 minutes and until the crust is just set and the top is dry.
- Remove the crust from the oven. Spread ½ cup of the barbecue sauce over the top of the crust in an even layer. Sprinkle the mozzarella and cheddar cheeses over the sauce.
- In a small bowl, toss the cooked, chopped chicken with the remaining ½ cup of barbecue sauce. Spread this onto the pizza crust in an even layer. Next, top with the sliced red onion and the sliced jalapeno.
- Bake again in a 450°F oven for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling and the crust is golden brown on the edges.
9. Top the pizza with chopped cilantro, slice and serve.