Yield: 12 Portions
1 bag Cup4Cup Cornbread Mix
1 large yellow onion, diced
8 ounces bacon, cut intro strips
5 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
1 tablespoon clarified butter (or canola oil)
½ teaspoon coarse cracked black peppercorn
- Heat oven to 375°
- Mix Cup4Cup Cornbread Mix according to instructions, and set aside
- Place 10.25” cast iron pan on medium heat to pre-heat; add clarified butter.
- Add bacon to render, stirring periodically, for approximately 10 minutes.
- Drain fat and reserve; add onion with bacon renderings, and cook for 15 minutes on medium low heat, stirring often, until onions become translucent and lightly caramelized.
- Add sage and pepper, and stir to incorporate; using a spatula, empty all contents into cornbread mix, stirring to distribute evenly.
- Add 4 tablespoons of bacon fat back into pan, and allow time to heat; add cornbread mix, and transfer to oven.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until cornbread is firm to the touch.
- To finish, allow cornbread to cool completely, and serve with salted honey butter
- Salted Honey Butter Topping: 2/3 cup room temperature butter, 1/3 cup of honey, 1 teaspoon of salt. Whisk to combine. Spread onto cooled cornbread.